- This detection is for a known bitcoin miner that could cause unwanted network traffic on the affected hosts.
- This application is often delivered through a package installer which has been observed to consistently drop the following files:
- libcurl-4.dll : This is a recognized clean file.
- pthreadGC2.dll : This is a recognized clean file.
- [RandomFileName].exe : This is detected as Riskware/BitCoinMiner.
- zlib1.dll : This is a recognized clean file.
- There are some variations on the installation and could include other potentially unwanted files that may harm the affected user, such as autostart scripts, uninstallers, etc.
- The main executable, which is the bitcoin miner program itself, usually stays resident in memory without any prompts or graphical user interface, thus rendering it to be classified as a potential risk.
- Check the main screen using the web interface for your FortiGate unit to ensure that the latest AV/NIDS database has been downloaded and installed on your system - if required, enable the "Allow Push Update" option.
- Quarantine/delete files that are detected and replace infected files with clean backup copies.